[Lexicog] factional

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Wed Jun 29 17:28:47 UTC 2005

I have recorded "there's nothing fictual about it" (meaning "it's all
true"), and also (in print) "This popular author has given us another
fictious tale to enjoy." But these were apparently slips, not words
purposely used with a new meaning ("fact-based fiction"). I'd suppose a
blend of fictional and factual to get fictual, and haplology from
fictitious to get fictious. Some linguists use the form "fictive",
saying e.g. that "the road goes down to the coast" is "fictive motion"
of the road.

Just googled these and find 600+ for "fictual" (some purposeful, others
deploring the term), including "Discovery Channel brings us into the
world of life on another planet, take a virtual journel to a *fictual*
planet where life is discovered ", and over 49K (!) for "fictious",
including "That’s why it’s written about a *fictious* town and a
*fictious* problem." 417K for "fictive".

--David Tuggy