[Lexicog] "double vowel" & toolbox

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Fri May 13 18:29:38 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05 12:01 AM, "Kees van Kolmeschate" <keesvkolmeschate at hetnet.nl>
wrote:

> I've been playing around a bit with Toolbox the last few days. And I
> came to like it.
> However, I have been not been able to convince Toolbox, while parsing,
> to refrain from splitting up long vowels when they are written as
> double vowels, as e.g. in Ojibwe (Fiero spelling), and a lot of other
> languages.
> Would anyone know a solution (other than converting digraphs to a
> single character +/- diacritic)?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Kees van Kolmeschate

Karuk has some short and long (single and double) vowels, which I defined in
the sort order.  I don't recall having any recent problems with
interlinearization in terms of the single and double vowels.

If Toolbox attempts to force you to split up the long vowels, you could
force it accept the correct parse by setting up a separate parsing database.
I'm still using Shoebox, as I'm using a Mac, but I'm hoping that a parsing
database works the same in Toolbox.

Here's a sample entry from my parsing database.  As you can see, the only
fields I use are the \lx field and the \u field.

\_sh v3.0  400  Karuk MDF 4.0
\_DateStampHasFourDigitYear

\lx axras'uuyvánamich
\u axraas úuyva -aan -ram -ich