[Lexicog] Digest Number 420

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu Sep 8 10:58:56 UTC 2005

Si,

Where does "happy-go-lucky" fit in? What is the function of "go" in this
combination?
No native English speaker could tell me.

I hope you enjoy the Sachsens' coffee and cakes.

B4N,

Fritz
    As opposed to to "I became happy"?

  yes - interesting idea, since became is clearly connected with
come...maybe the verbs of motion are used to indicate the fact that one is
not happy/sad/bankrupt/apeshit per se but only through some metaphorical
movement.  The negative/positive split is maybe too because negativity is my
fault and positivity the act of others...(I haven't fully thought that last
through, would welcome comments).

  Also, to get plays a part.  I got really happy (is this more often used
with intensifiers, I wonder?), I got sad.  This is really getting out of
hand :)

  Again this getting thing implies input from outside forces.  Interesting
sociolinguistics here.

  l8r (oder, Fritz, wie auf Deutsch geschrieben,  sp8r) -

  Si

  ---
  Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany
  cell: 0049 (0)1627 325868