[Lexicog] Digest Number 421

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Thu Sep 8 20:44:39 UTC 2005

hi Fritz -

On 8 Sep 2005, at 19:21, lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com wrote:
> Where does "happy-go-lucky" fit in? What is the function of "go" in
> this
> combination?

this is a very interesting question.  I have no idea what the answer
could be, although I would suggest it might be a filler word, ie with
no semantic content:  notice that it's deëmphasized.  I suspect it is
not actually anything to do with to go although it would be really
good to know for sure...what ideas have you had or heard...?

And yes, the Sachsen cakes are wonderful.  I am developing a fondness
for quark which we call curd(s) in British English but which I had
never tasted before I arrived here.

OK, bis bald -

Si
---