[Lexicog] A folk-etymology

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 4 02:33:08 UTC 2006

A problem is that English has too many word-forming para-'s, cf. paramilitary (doesn't mean stop the military, so a peace demonstration is not paramilitary, nor are the Quakers paramilitary -- para- here is from a Greek element meaning 'beside'). Also consider apparent para- in paramount and paramour, where the etymological segmentation is par-a....

--Ken Hill

rtroike at email.arizona.edu wrote:
 Someone a few days ago (pardon, I've forgotten who) mentioned the Spanish
 word "paracaidas" ("parachute"), and etymologized the "para" as the
 preposition meaning "for" ("caida" is "fall"), citing "paraguas" ("umbrella")
 as a parallel ("for water").

 I had always folk-etymologized the "para" part the same way myself, and just
 happened to learn from a student recently that it is actually the verb
 "parar" ("to stop, prevent, hinder"). Checking the online OED for "parachute",
 I found that the "para" part here is from the same source, and the "chute" is
 cognate with the Spanish "caida".

       Live and learn,

       Rudy Troike

                                                    Science kits                                       Science education                                       Science kit for kid                                                                     Cognitive science                                       Science education supply                                       My first science kit

http://mail.yahoo.com