[Lexicog] Semantic parsing

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Wed May 31 15:01:32 UTC 2006

from David Frank:

I was interested to hear about FrameNet. I am doing a study that includes an analysis of the word "resemble," and I have been wondering how Fillmore would analyze the case frame for that verb, as compared with, for example, "represent," and I wasn't sure how to find out.

However, after looking at the FrameNet web site, I am disappointed. The analysis of "resemble" I found at http://framenet.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=118&le=7974& is something like the following (using my own example):

That cloud resembles a bear = [[Entity_1]] resembles [[Entity_2]].

Additionally, there is a definition given for "resemble": "have a similar appearance to or features in common with." "Entity" as a frame is defined as "A thing (either abstract or physical) that exists with some degree of permanence." There are no insights as to the relationship between Entity_1 and Entity_2.

To me this is not very helpful. What am I missing?

----- Original Message -----
From: <rtroike at email.arizona.edu>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:01 AM
Subject: [Lexicog] Semantic parsing

Patrick's excellent and very clear exposition of the problem of semantic
parsing is exactly what is being addressed in Charles Fillmore's seemingly
little known Framenet project, which is using frame semantics to set up an
automatic semantic annotation system. The url for the project is:

        http://framenet.icsi.berkeley.edu/