[Lexicog] Toolbox

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Nov 3 13:20:07 UTC 2006

Wayne Leman wrote:
> ... My reason for spending some time with either program
> lately has been to get them to interlinearize some texts. I interlinearized
> a number of texts with Shoebox quite a few years ago, but then added
> thousands more entries to my lexical files. Now I don't get good
> interlinearizing with either program, but the programmers are helping me try
> to resolve the issues.

It is well known that because of its built-in heuristics for choosing
the best parse, the parser in Shoe/Toolbox is well suited to some
languages, but very poorly suited to others.

There are numerous other morphological parsers "out there", although
none of them is integrated into *Box (nor apparently can be, since *Box
doesn't have programming "hooks" for that).  But you could certainly use
one of the other parsers, disambiguate the parses, then import the
parsed text into *Box (perhaps after some munging to put it into the
appropriate format).  Some of the other parsers that I'm aware of:

    AMPLE (which has a GUI)

    ToneParse (SIL/ Andy Black; complementary to AMPLE,
    in the sense that ToneParse makes it easier to treat
    suprasegmental morphology)

    Xerox Finite State Tools (excellent, but probably not
    for the faint-hearted; programs taking the same general
    approach include the Stuttgart Finite State Toolkit,
    and various other finite state tools)

    PC-KIMMO (implements "two level" morphology/ phonology,
    which is not your father's theory of phonology; probably
    superceded for many purposes by the twolc compiler in
    the Xerox toolkit)

    Hermit Crab (shipped with LinguaLinks v1.5, IIRC, and
    not useable outside that environment)

    Functional Morphology (embedded in the Haskell programming
    language, and requires familiarity with Haskell to make
    it work)

There may be others.
--
	Mike Maxwell