[Lexicog] Toolbox inconsistencies (was: Cheyenne dictionary and blog)

Sebastian Drude sebadru at ZEDAT.FU-BERLIN.DE
Fri Sep 1 18:46:09 UTC 2006

In June, we had two interesting meetings in Lansing that dealt with
lexicon creation and related issues, among other topics:
the "EMELD-conference" and the "Digital Tools Summit in Linguistics".

> The Bardi database is quite messy. It repreesents the merger
> of three different shoebox databases with inconsistent data entry within
> that. There are definitely "non-standard" field structures.
One thing that came back and back again on both meetings is that ALL
shoebox databases tend to be very messy after a while, especially if
they were produced during a reasonable stretch of time, or by different
persons, or after merging different databases for different purposes.

That is possibly the major benefit but also the major flaw with
Shoebox/Toolbox: that it is so very flexible.

Givin the possibility to set up a *set* of templates and sub-templates
(besides the 'following field' mechanism) would have been useful, but
what is needed NOW, as was one of the results of the Digital Tools
Summit, is a consistency-checker for legacy toolbox files.  This comes
out even more clearly when you try to convert Toolbox Databases to some
other format, such as Lexique Pro, or Fieldwork, or LEXUS (being
developed at the MPI Nijmegen).
Our working group at the Summit arrived at some quite promising and
concrete suggestions of how to implement such a tool.  Are here any
volunteers in this list who would be willing to discuss this proposal,
and maybe even some programmers that would pick up this task, say, as a
degree concluding work in some university course, or just for fun?  Mike
Maxwell knows more about this, and I would be happy to diskuss the topic
(better off the list).

I agree with Claire in many things she comments on FIELDWORKS. Although
promising in many respects, it is in some way the opposit of Toolbox - a
huge, monolithic tool (for much more than just dictionary producing),
and possibly not flexible enough for differnt linguists with different
theoretical convictions (e.g., for linguistis following a
word-and-paradigm reasoning, as I do).
Maybe a set of small tools (following the Unix-philosophy) would have
been better, or could complement it.

Best, Sebastian