[Lexicog] Subcat information

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Thu Oct 4 07:43:02 UTC 2007

I am preparing to transfer my Amele dictionary into FLEx from Toolbox.
Where should I place subcategorization information in FLEx? For example,
Amele verbs can be marked for direct object agreeement, indirect object
agreement or oblique object agreement (e.g. benefactive / malefactive).
Different verbs have different possibilities of object agreement marking
and I have these properties indicated against each verb such as [+DO,
-IO, +OO]. I am thinking they should be part of the part of speech
field, \ps in Toolbox. But I need a subcat field under \ps to record the
different subcat features. If I just code them all as \ps, e.g.

\ps v
\ps stat (stative verb)
\ps med (medial verb)
\ps [IT] (iterative verb)
\ps [-DO, -IO, ±OO]

Then this is not correct, as I want to have the subcat features under
'verb' not the same status as 'verb'. I also don't want to do it as

\ps v, stat, med, [IT], [+DO, -IO, ±OO]

because again this puts all these distinguishing categories on the same
level as 'verb'. It also makes it more difficult to pick them out. For
example, how would I pick out all the stative verbs?

Verbs are the main lexical class with multiple subcategories, but
inalienably possessed nouns can also be divided into various
morphological and semantic subcategories. I would like to have all this
information coded into my Amele dictionary. The Collins COBUILD English
dictionary has all this kind of information for English. I would like to
do the same for Amele.

John Roberts

--
John R Roberts