[Lexicog] Using moccasin, canoe or other words with other Native etymology

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Tue Apr 8 23:19:25 UTC 2008

I¹m working with an advisory group on the second edition of the Karuk
dictionary, and several of the group members have expressed a concern with
using words like canoe or moccasin in the definitions of Karuk words.

For example, the word éeyxuvik has the definition Œtype of moccasins worn by
the imúsaan in ceremony.¹

They are a soft leather heelless shoe, and it¹s possible to write that kind
of circumlocution in order to refrain from using words from other tribes.

I think the feeling is that we want avoid using words that conjure up
non-Karuk imagery.  Is that a legitimate way of handling the concern of the
advisory group?

Thanks,
--
Susan Gehr