[Lexicog] open eyes

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Mon Feb 4 16:25:13 UTC 2008

On 3 Feb 2008 at 22:39, Wayne Leman wrote:

> Is the collocation "open eyes" ever used in any standard dialect of
> English for a meaning other than 'to open one's eyelids" (e.g. upon
> waking up from sleep)?

Commonly, yes, to mean to suddenly realise or become aware of
something significant or profound that one was previously unaware
of, often after some 'event' or other influx of new information
provokes such onset of dawning awareness; Google "my eyes were
opened" for examples. Can't say I'm familiar with it meaning 'regain
eyesight' though.

 - David

> I am particularly interested to know if a literal translation of the
> Hebraism "open eyes", meaning 'regain eyesight', is ever used in any
> standard dialect of English?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
> -----