[Lexicog] IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jun 23 18:35:13 UTC 2008

Quoting Ronald Moe <ron_moe at sil.org>:
> Richard Goodgrief wrote:
>> “Does anyone have all of the Koine Biblical Greek words converte=
>> to the IPA Alphabet? I would like to have this for my lexicon.”
>
> I’ve done something similar to this in FieldWorks...
> You may also need to deal with allophones and phonemes that are
> under-differentiated in the orthography.

...which brings up an interesting point about the IPA.  It is,
according to its name, a *phonetic* alphabet.  It can certainly be used
for that purpose, but in this case (Koine Greek), and in many others,
I'm assuming it is being used as a *phonemic* alphabet, where each
phoneme is represented by a letter corresponding to one or another of
its allophones.  That is, the phonemic meaning of classical Greek is
more or less agreed on, I believe, and maybe Koine wasn't much
different--although of course later forms of Greek were quite
different.  But I'm assuming that we have little or no knowledge of
classical or Koine Greek phonetics, i.e. what the allophones were.  Or
am I mistaken?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com