[Lexicog] Using old dictionaries

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Thu Dec 17 22:41:29 UTC 2009

Wow - thanks - gosh, I had last looked at that site some years ago
and remember thinking then that nobody could possibly legitimately
have compiled that many dictionaries. Now I've just taken a closer
look again, and discovered that he has blatantly, directly illegally
stolen copyrighted data from our own online Northern Sotho - English
Dictionary, no doubt auto-harvested. Not only that, but he's
published a print version based on that stolen data and is selling
it on Amazon (he's clearly 'auto-generated' hundreds of
dictionaries, many of them are probably also illegal with stolen
data - plus auto-generated things like 'crossword books' with the
data). All published with the 'Webster's' name. Plus he sells ad
space on his online illegal version and solicits financial support.
He even has the cheek to include "Restrictions: you are not allowed
to harvest the pages" on his site.

I have very harsh words for these kinds of people. There is another
similar case I know of that I don't want to mention because I don't
want to give them 'free advertising'. What can be done to stop such
crooks, can they really just make a killing from illegally copied
copyrighted work with absolute impunity? I've just made some 'back
of the envelope' calculations (based on various projections from
known information) on the amount of income he could be earning from
this mass-fraud, and even my most conservative estimates put it at
'a lot', like 'more-money-than-most-of-us-can-ever-hope-to-earn'
lot, like 'enough-to-quit-your-day-job-and-steal-dictionaries-
fulltime' lot.

 - David

(* I'm using 'steal' in the metaphorical sense, of course, as I know
copyright violation is not technically stealing, though it literally
does rob original authors of income.)