[Lexicog] What consider as distinct publications

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 12 17:58:56 UTC 2009

I doubt that there is an official answer to your question. My opinion would
be that if a dictionary project ended up being too big to be printed in one
volume, it would still count as one publication. The Oxford English
Dictionary was published in several volumes but is still considered a single
dictionary. Are you counting dictionary projects or books? I have a copy of
Buck's Indo-European dictionary on my shelf. It was originally published in
four volumes, but my edition was published in a single volume. I don't say,
"I have Buck's four dictionaries on my shelf." Instead I say, "I have Buck's
dictionary on my shelf." I count it as one dictionary and the number of
volumes the printer produced is irrelevant.

However if someone publishes a bilingual dictionary in two volumes, the
answer is more difficult. If the same dictionary is published as a single
book, it would be considered a single dictionary. But if the (for example)
Spanish-English part is published in one volume and the English-Spanish part
in a companion volume, we might say they are two publications. They might be
published as a pair, but they are still two different dictionaries with two
sets of data. You could simplify your question with bilingual dictionaries
by only counting Spanish-(other) dictionaries and ignoring (other)-Spanish
dictionaries.

Ron Moe

  _____