[Lexicog] copyright-free images for use in dictionary

Christopher P. Wilde chris_wilde at SALL.COM
Mon Jun 15 15:38:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

One possible link is www.flikr.com which has millions of photographs
from amateur and professional photographers around the world. There
are 3700 "group pools" of photographs from the Philippines alone. One,
for example, is the "Wow!! Philippines"-pool with almost 3000 photos
in itself:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/71403322@N00/

You can search for "groups" (or, "pools") at: http://www.flickr.com/search/groups

Here's, for example, a picture of "balut" taken by a friend of mine in
Cambodia:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/_ari/3514886013/

Many people "tag" their photos which makes it easier to search for
specific items. For example, a basic search on "balut" via the www.flikr.com
  page comes up with over 3000 photos. Like this one:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksmeanderings/3232759657/

Most photographers have their photos marked with copyright. However,
some people may well be willing to let you use them providing you
contact them and ask for permission (and some people even say so in
their "profile"). Some may ask for compensation, others might not.
Perhaps worth a try.

Best regards,

-Chris Wilde