[Lexicog] News and Offers from TshwaneDJe

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Sat Mar 21 19:04:50 UTC 2009

> I still think Toolbox is an excellent software for a lexicographer and
> it has allowed me to do pretty much everything I wanted to with the
> dictionary. But it is also important to say that I would not be able
> to do some of those things without the excellent programmer that I
> have in my team. So, Toolbox offers flexibility to do things, but with
> that flexibility comes additional work. TshwaneLex probably automates
> a lot of the features that we do with various CCT’s and scripts

Indeed, and primarily, it basically does not allow you to create
'incorrectly structured' data in the first place.

> but then maybe it isn’t flexible enough to allow us do other things. My
> main worry though, is that the data entry process in much
> time-consuming the TshwaneLex than it is in Toolbox.

Notwithstanding the speed-up in work gained from having many
'gruntwork' style things like sense numbers done automatically for
you, I wonder if this is one of those things where you would
eventually attain comparable speed once you learned how to work in
TshwaneLex effectively with the mouse and had lots of practice (and
of course learned all of its available keyboard shortcuts), or if
one or the other is truly 'objectively' faster than the other (e.g.
if one did a pseudo-scientific experiement and took someone
extremely proficient in TshwaneLex and put them next to someone
extremely proficient in Toolbox, and had them both enter the same
bunch of entries, if one would always in general be able to outpace
the other). I know that once one has become well-versed in some
piece of software, it's 'difficult' to change to anything else, as
one has become well-practiced in doing things a certain way, and
there's a 'learning curve' before one can become comparably
proficient.

I know when I do programming, I definitely prefer to use the
keyboard almost exclusively, and work extremely quickly that way,
but somehow when I use TshwaneLex I don't generally get the feeling
that I'd be prefer to be able to totally avoid the mouse or be able
to speed up much that way (even though I could program in more
keyboard-driven functionality, the general way one works in
TshwaneLex doesn't necessarily lend itself well to this,
particularly in the Tree View, though certainly it warrants further
thought). We do have users, including myself, who work extremely
fast in TshwaneLex even though it's somewhat mouse-oriented.

Note a few very useful keyboard shortcuts in TshwaneLex are
documented in the FAQ: http://tshwanedje.com/faq.html

 - David

---
http://tshwanedje.com/