[Lexicog] non-phonetic pronunciation or simple (re)spelled pronunciation

ppetowusa ppetowusa at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 20 20:34:03 UTC 2011

Are there any print dictionaries on the college level that use a non-phonetic, non-IPA, pronunciation guide, sometimes called "respelled pronunciation."  I have the Collins Webster's Dictionary (paper, 2003, 2007), but it is not college-level.

I know that there are some "radio" or TV broadcasters' pronunciation guides, and Iowa Public Radio has a guide online, but these emphasize people and places and music and are not comprehensive.  I also understand that Cambridge (UK) and Oxford have published pronunciation guides although the format may be IPA--but I am interested in American English.

Thank you.

Pat Petow

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com