[Lexicog] Re: non-phonetic pronunciation or simple (re)spelled pronunciation

Patricia A. Petow ppetowusa at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 22 00:26:18 UTC 2011

Thanks very much.  I actually have the 10th ed. (2001).  I am spoiled by the little Collins Webster's.

I'm curious to see what future dictionaries might do.

Pat
Patricia A. Petow, Esq.
Research & Writing
AC & 1st Circuit
www.petow.com

________________________________
 From: "rtroike at email.arizona.edu" <rtroike at email.arizona.edu>
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:46 PM
Subject: [Lexicog]  Re: non-phonetic pronunciation or simple (re)spelled pronunciation

Howdy, Pat,

Re your question, Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary used to include
their own long-standing re-spelling system, which was designed in part to
hide regional differences, so people who pronounced key words differently
could still find their own pronunciation as a key. Somewhere after the 9th
edition they introduced a modified phonemic transcription, using \ \ lines
to enclose the pronunciation. So if you don't have to have the 'very latest'
'NEW' 1,000 words (computer jargon, 'app', 'ninja', etc.), and can find an
older M-W dictionary, you'll have what you are looking for.

Merry Christmas,

Rudy Troike
Department of English
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona

1a. NON-PHONETIC PRONUNCIATION OR SIMPLE (RE)SPELLED PRONUNCIATION

POSTED BY: "PPETOWUSA" PPETOWUSA at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm        (PST)

Are there any print dictionaries on the college level that use a
non-phonetic, non-IPA, pronunciation guide, sometimes called "respelled
pronunciation."  I have the Collins Webster's Dictionary (paper, 2003, 2007),
but it is not college-level.

I know that there are some "radio" or TV broadcasters' pronunciation guides,
and Iowa Public Radio has a guide online, but these emphasize people
and places and music and are not comprehensive.  I also understand that
Cambridge (UK) and Oxford have published pronunciation guides although the
format may be IPA--but I am interested in American English.

Thank you.

Pat Petow