WISCONSIN: ENGLISH-ONLY MEASURE

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 21 18:12:29 UTC 2002

>>From the NYTimes, National Briefings, Midwest:

WISCONSIN: ENGLISH-ONLY MEASURE

           The executive of Brown County, which encompasses Green Bay,
vetoed a resolution passed last month declaring English the official
language of government. "One has to ask, Why are we doing something which
supporters say changes nothing when we know it hurts members of our
community?" said the executive, Nancy J. Nussbaum. The veto, Ms.
Nussbaum's first in more than 14 years as an elected official, can be
overridden by a vote of 18 of the 26 members of the board of supervisors,
which passed the resolution on July 17.  Jodi Wilgoren (NYT)