Conference on Minority Languages: Kiruna, Sweden
Harold F. Schiffman
haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 15 16:37:52 UTC 2002
9th International Conference on Minority Languages
Short Title: ICML - IX
Location: Kiruna, Sweden
Date: 06-JUN-03 - 07-JUN-03
Web Site: http://www.finska.su.se/konf03.html
Contact Person: Organizing Committee
Meeting Email: fguest at finska.su.se
Anthropological Linguistics, Sociolinguistics
The conference will be held in Kiruna [Kiruna municipality] Sweden,
June 6-7, 2003. Four official languages of Sweden are spoken in the
municipality of Kiruna: Finnish, Menkieli, Saami and
The main theme of the conference will be revitalization of use of
languages, especially languages spoken by small groups of people.
- Case studies of revitalization of minority languages.
- Language emancipation.
- Implementation of the European Charter for Regional or Minority
Languages with particular attention to smaller language groups.
- Language policies and language planning.
- Cultural development (literature, theatre, music etc.) and social
capital in minority regions.
- Experiences from bilingual education and immersion classes for
children who use smaller languages.
- Any topic concerning minority languages in the Barents and Baltic
More information about the Lgpolicy-list