JOB Announcement

William Beeman William_Beeman at brown.edu
Wed Oct 23 15:08:47 UTC 2002

Greetings,

Please note the following job announcement. We are happy to accept
nominations and applications from qualified linguists who otherwise meet
the criteria for this position. People with interests in Language and
Identity or Language Policy are especially encouraged to apply.

Bill Beeman

>Here is the copy of the ad, as promised, from the faculty meeting
>yesterday.  K
>

>Associate or Full Professor of Anthropology, Brown University
>Politics, Culture, and Identity
>
>In conjunction with the Watson Institute of International Studies, Brown
>University
>

>BROWN UNIVERSITY'S Department of Anthropology and the Watson Institute for
>International Studies seek to appoint a distinguished anthropologist at
>the Associate or Full Professor level, with tenure, beginning July 1,
>2003.  Want person who will provide leadership for the Watson Institute
>Research Program in Politics, Culture, and Identity (PCI), as well as
>contribute to the undergraduate and graduate training programs of the
>anthropology department.  Seeking scholar of international reputation,
>whose publications and current research focus on political processes,
>especially on the symbolic dimension of politics and the ways that
>political identities are constructed.  Should be interested in and adept
>at organizing major interdisciplinary research projects.  Deep knowledge
>of and ongoing research in one or more non-North American societies
>required, complementing areas of expertise of the members of the
>anthropology department and of the PCI program.  Position entails reduced
>teaching load.   To be considered for a full professor appointment,
>candidates must be leaders in their field.  Send letter of interest, c.v.,
>and names and addresses of four references (including email addresses and
>telephone numbers) by January 15, 2003, to Prof. David Kertzer, Department
>of Anthropology, Box 1921, Brown University, Providence RI
>02912-1921.  Brown University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
>employer.  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

William Beeman
Department of Anthropology
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
Tel: (401) 863-7063 [direct] , (401) 863-3251 [Anthropology office], (401)
863-7423 Middle East Studies
Fax: (401) 863-7588
email: <William_Beeman at Brown.edu>
web page: <http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Anthropology/Beeman.html>