diglossia / societal multilingualism

Alkistis Fleischer fleischa at georgetown.edu
Sat Apr 26 00:08:02 UTC 2003

I realize that I replied to this too fast. In his message, Joshua Fishman
gave examples of long-lasting (> 3 gens.) societal multilingualisms, and the
Katharevusa / Demotiki case as an example of a long-lasting societal
multilingualism, not necessarily as a case of multilingualism that survives
to the present day (my assumption when I replied). Greek diglossia qualifies
of course as an example of long-lasting societal multilingualism.

Regarding my comment about the Greek case being an example of diglossia, but
not societal multilingualism, I was operating with Fergusonian diglossia.

Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Alkistis Fleischer