Proposal Deadline Extended to Oct. 17 for Ethnography Forum

David Johnson davidcasselsjohnson at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:36:55 UTC 2003

Dear Colleague,

The University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education and the Center
for Urban Ethnography announce the 25th Annual Ethnography in Education
Research Forum, February 27th and February 28th, 2004.  Please find our Call
for Papers on the web (http://www.gse.upenn.edu/cue/forum.php). We encourage
proposal submissions to the 2004 Forum that focus directly on issues of
significance for the conduct and understanding of the processes of
education.
The submission deadline is October 17, 2003.

The theme of the 2004 Forum is “Ethnography as scientifically based
research:
Implications for educational policy and practice.” In an era of a powerfully
directive federal educational discourse which seemingly equates experimental
research with scientific evidence and accountability with effectiveness,
ethnographers of education are forcefully challenged to define and defend
ethnographic and qualitative research approaches to understanding
educational
effectiveness.  Issues of evidence, truth, credibility, and generalizability
are at the fore in ways reminiscent of the educational research climate
which
gave birth to the Forum 25 years ago.  In this year's Forum, we seek to
celebrate the accomplishments of educational ethnography over the past
quarter
century while simultaneously charting our course to meet the challenges of
the
next.

We are happy to announce that Michael Agar, Cindy Ballenger, Frederick
Erickson, and Perry Gilmore will be our plenary speakers this year and may
also join in facilitating the data analysis consultation sessions which are
regular part of the Forum.

The Forum hosts a diverse selection of workshops convened by graduate
students, researchers, and practitioners in the fields of education and
anthropology. Proposals may be submitted for data analysis consultation,
individual papers, works-in progress, and group sessions. We especially
encourage proposals which incorporate the theme of the 2004 Forum.

Please post this announcement as an invitation for
faculty, students, teachers and other practitioners to participate in the
Forum. Further inquiries may be directed to Mihyon Jeon and David Cassels
Johnson, the Student Forum Coordinators, at cue at gse.upenn.edu.

Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to seeing many of you at the
25th Ethnography Forum.

Sincerely,

Nancy H. Hornberger
Convenor