printability and standardization

Blanchet Philippe philippe.blanchet at uhb.fr
Thu Jan 8 08:35:43 UTC 2004

Stan & Sandy Anonby a écrit :

> Do you have to have a standard spelling system/orthography?

It depends on what you call a "standard" spelling system. For Corsican
and for Provençal (the lattest being a first language for me), there is
a set of principles of a phonetic spelling (the values of latin
letters), more phonetic for Corsican than for Provençal in which we also
have a few unpronounced morphological marks at the end of some words:
each one applies these principles to write down his own variety. It
means that the same word is written differently according to the local
phonetics and morphology (and obviously vocabulary).
e. g. for "The little girls playing on sunday"  , I (from Marseilles)
write:

"Lei pichóunei fiho juegon lou diminche",

someone from Arles or Avignon would write:

"Li pichòti fiho jogon lou dimenche"

and someone from the higher mountains would write:

"Les pichotos filhos jugon lou dimenge".

Best,

Ph. B.