printability and standardization

Alkistis Fleischer fleischa at georgetown.edu
Fri Jan 9 02:25:50 UTC 2004

This is a very interesting discussion, but I am wondering:

Why should the Italian government utilize Ladin if it is not an official
language? It makes sense to use German: it is an official language of the
Trentin-South Tyrol Region along with Italian (since 1972); German speakers
form the numerical majority in the province of Bolzano-South Tyrol, etc. But
why should there be labels in Ladin? To return to the original article, why
should there be pharmaceutical products labeled in Ladin in South Tyrol if
the clientele for these products is less than 5% of the population?!

Alkistis Fleischer