printability and standardization

Margaret Ronkin ronkinm at georgetown.edu
Sun Jan 11 19:55:55 UTC 2004

Also of possible interest; the first two readings are at an "easier" level than the third.

Lippi-Green, Rosina. 1997. The standard language myth. In English with an accent: language, ideology, and discrimination in the United States. London: Routledge. Pp. 53-62.

Lippi-Green Rosina. 1997. Language ideology and the language subordination model. In English with an accent: language, ideology, and discrimination in the United States. London: Routledge. Pp. 63-78.

Silverstein, Michael. 1996. Monoglot "standard" in America: Standardization and metaphors of linguistic hegemony. In Donald Brenneis and Ronald K.S. Macaulay, eds. The matrix of language: Contemporary linguistic anthropology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. Pp. 284-306.
[From a shorter paper, "Standardization and Metaphors of Linguistic Hegemony", presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Philadelphia, 6 December 1996.]

-----

--Maggie