printability and standardization

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Sun Jan 11 22:46:26 UTC 2004

Dear Maggie,
    I have read all the people you mention - although not the particular
piece by Silverstein whom I stay away from if I can help it ( his ideas are
brilliant; his writing is dreadful).
    When I say you can tell Af-Am that AAVE is a wonderful dialect, in many
ways more expressive (he talking~ he be talking) than standard English, it
might "take" with some, but not your ordinary working class, LMC - they
simply don't believe it. With good reason, I might add. (For social reasons)
Only linguists would believe it. Why do I say that. I have tried many, many
times - I have supervised any numbers of lge attitude studies and it is
always the same. Dislike and distrust.
    But if you want to read something really great, find Samy Alim's
dissertation, defended last spring at Stanford, John Baugh's student. That
should make you cheer. But again, that's the students, not the parents.
    Please understand, I think AAVE is great, fascinating and intriguing
that we have no generally accepted history of its genesis. ALL I object to
is pontificating social policies on linguistic grounds and against the
community's wishes whether they be Quechua Indians, African-American,
Hasidim Jews, etc etc.
    And I am fairly well read :-) Christina PS But hang in there