printability and standardization

Kendall King AKK25 at georgetown.edu
Tue Jan 13 17:56:36 UTC 2004

I agree with Aurolyn's interpretation and the two points she makes here
concerning the potentially harmful impact of efforts to standardize
minority languages. Since publishing the book in 2000, I've become
increasingly concerned by the very mixed nature of such efforts (including
those deemed both "bottom-up" and "top-down"). (The co-edited book by Leena
Huss, _Transcending Monolingualism_, illustrates examples of this.)
Further, I think it is critically important to keep in mind that indigenous
and minority communities are very often diverse and divided. There are
typically numerous political factions and contentious issues. In such
contexts, language policy and language usage can easily become a further
source of tension, exacerbating existing divisions in the community, or in
some cases, creating new ones. Thus, language policies which are intended
to strengthen and unite communities linguistically, culturally, and
politically might have the opposite effect, as different groups engage in
lengthy (and not always friendly) debates concerning orthographic decisions
and so on.
Kendall

At 09:07 1/12/2004 -0800, Aurolyn Luykx wrote:
>King's argument is rather complex, but to briefly
>summarize part of it here, she reports that the
>successful standardization of Quichua and its
>incorporation into schooling has indirectly led to an
>even greater stigmatization and avoidance of
>pre-existing non-standard dialects. Also that while
>the standardized Quichua has gained some ground in
>symbolic contexts, it continues to lose ground in
>functions that are communicatively more important on a
>day-to-day basis. Admittedly, it may be hard to get
>worked up over prestige hierarchies between different
>dialects within an indigenous language, when the more
>immediate problem is that rapid disappearance of so
>many languages altogether, but I'd argue that the two
>issues are not unrelated. In other words, policies
>meant to strengthen indigenous languages may
>indirectly contribute to their demise, via unintended
>ideological effects that elevate a new standard which
>few people speak and denigrate more widespread
>(non-standard) dialects. One more reason why it's just
>as important for linguists to study their own
>ideologies as those of "common speakers." And to
>recall that parents' language choices for their
>children are always embedded in these shifting
>ideological sands. Kendall, care to weigh in on any of
>this?
>Aurolyn
>p.s. to Stan -- certainly the isolation of many
>indigenous groups is what has helped their languages
>survive as long as they have. In Bolivia, bilingual
>education will now make schooling accessible to so
>many more indigenous children who were previously
>marginalized from it, but that very act of bringing
>them into the educational fold will most likely lead
>many or most of them to abandon the indigenous
>language, eventually.
>
>--- Stan & Sandy Anonby <stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org>
>wrote:
> > I'd like to read King.  I haven't, so I might be off
> > base, but aren't stratification, sociogeographical
> > isolation, and disparities forces which help
> > maintain languages and cultures?  If these problems
> > didn't exist in Brazil, my feeling is that all the
> > Indian communities would've switched to Portuguese
> > by now.  I don't know the sociolinguistic dynamic in
> > Ecuador and I think it's great that indigenous
> > people there have won a political place in the
> > wording of the constitution.  However, I wonder how
> > much Quechua is really benefiting from this Indian
> > zeitgeist.   If the situation is like Brazil, then I
> > would bet that the Indians who were instrumental in
> > bringing about these political changes do not speak
> > their Indian languages well, if at all.  I don't
> > doubt all this has had a positive
> > social-psychological effect on minority children and
> > within their communities, but does this mean they
> > are speaking more Quechua?
> >
> > Stan

Kendall King, Ph.D.
Department of Linguistics, Georgetown University
Intercultural Center 458, Washington D.C. 20057
Ph: 202-687-7117        Fax: 202-687-6174

Email: AKK25 at georgetown.edu
www.georgetown.edu/faculty/akk25/