Meillet

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 10 22:54:12 UTC 2004

I don't know Ostler's use of the quotation, but for the record Antoine
Meillet first said "a language is a dialect with an army" - later Max
Weinreich used it in a talk in NewYorkCity (in Yiddish) and added "with a
navy". There was a long discussion of all this in LgeinSociety, summed up by
the then editor William Bright. I am sure he can give you the exact
reference to it <see address above) Lycka till med talet! Christina Bratt
Paulston