Meillet, Weinreich etc.

Nicholas Ostler nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 11:48:57 UTC 2004

Since this seems to be causing a slight conversation, I'll tell you all what I said to Trond Trosterud in my personal reply to his mis-sent letter:

In a review I wrote of the first SALTMIL workshop (at LREC 1998, Granada)I began with the following paragraphs:

http://193.2.100.60/SALTMIL/history/review.htm

"The old quip attributed to Uriel Weinreich, that a language is a dialect with an army and a navy, is being replaced in these progressive days: a language is a dialect with a dictionary, grammar, parser and a multi-million-word corpus of texts-and they'd better all be computer tractable. When you've got all of those, get yourself a speech database, and your language will be poised to compete on terms of equality in the new Information Society.

"This is in principle a much more accommodating doctrine than the old one: all that is necessary for the new attributes of linguistic dignity is some money, and a university team with an interest in your language, although (as with the army-and-navy test) it does help if there is some civic unity (to provide a centre of gravity for outliers) and if modern users of the language outnumber the records of its use by ancestors..."

You can find the rest, if you're interested, (it's only a page or so long) at
http://193.2.100.60/SALTMIL/history/review.htm

Evidently, I would have benefited from more detailed knowledge of the linguists in the Weinreich family when I wrote this, and in any case I am interested to know know that the original conceit came apparently from Antoine Meillet, to whom I owe so much of my knowledge about "The Indo-European Dialects".  Not many navies in his timescale, nor offcial standing armies, I should think.

Regards to all

Nicholas Ostler