CIRCULARS IN LANGUAGE OF MINORITIES LAND IN TROUBLE

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Thu May 6 12:54:24 UTC 2004

Dear Kerim and others,

This has to do with whether the government of Karnataka State in India
will communicate with its citizens in a language other than Kannada.
Karnataka State has the highest proportion of language "minorities"
(people speaking a language other than the dominant or official language,
in this case Kannada) of any major state in India--35% by last reckoning
that I'm familiar with. The largest "minority" are Tamil-speaking and have
been demanding that Tamil be officialized in Karnataka for some time, but
this demand has been resisted. Other "minority" languages are Telugu,
Tulu, Konkani, Marathi, Kodagu, and Urdu.  (Maybe some others, too).

This issue has been a contentious one since the states in India were
reorganized after independence in the 1950's.

Does this help?

Hal