CIRCULARS IN LANGUAGE OF MINORITIES LAND IN TROUBLE

Margaret Ronkin ronkinm at georgetown.edu
Thu May 6 13:35:02 UTC 2004

In haste--I may be a bit "off"--
I think this has to do with fear of minority language voices (which attach to minority language speakers) rising up against the hierarchical system of sub-state, state, and national languages in India. At the state level, we are among speakers of Kannada, a Dravidian language (correct me Hal, please, if my caffeine and/or my sociolx haven't kicked in), which appears to be designated an official language in Karnataka state, and has lots of supportive trappings like a Kannada Development Authority and various lobbying organizations. The order/plan announced in the article applies to Karnataka. The order/plan would recognize a number of minority languages in addition to Kannada for the conduct of transactions that are now conducted in Kannada and in English (at least officially) in various districts and locales within that state. You can bet that these minority languages have their entrenched lobbies as well. A researcher, Dr. M. Chidananda Murthy, has condemned the order/plan,!
  terming it a 'deep conspiracy to disintegrate Karnataka in a phased manner' and to wipe out Kannada. Discourse analysts will find many such 'deep conspiracies' in South Asian political commentary. Following the presentation of this 'evidence' and a bit more, the unnamed reporter inserts a quote attributed to Minister Mr. S. M. Krishna to end the article by quoting the urging of agitations/protests against what is seen by some as an 'anti-Kannada' order.

Maggie