Bilingualism

Stan-Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Mon Nov 1 00:38:28 UTC 2004

Hi Trond,

I like your broad sweeps about the areas of the world where monolingualism are the norm, "Spanish and English America, in Russia, Japan, the UK and perhaps France, and among Mandarin Chinese speakers of China"(and remember Brazil).

I'm wondering about your statement that immigrants in the past shifted more quickly than immigrants today. I don't have any stats about this, but would welcome any. I would've thought the opposite would be true, that language shift progressed more slowly in the past. I would've thought immigrants would've had fewer opportunities to speak the dominant language, and languages like English weren't as attractive then.

Stan
(By the way, my grandparents were Norwegian)