Measuring human language proficiency

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Mon Nov 1 08:24:24 UTC 2004

Bernard,

My "predjudice against local Englishes" is hardly a belief; rather it
is a challenge to the soundness of spreading a language that can only
be understood well by the inhabitants of the country in which it is
taught and where a wide-area language already exists! It is a challenge
based on 12 years of experience on the ground in East Asia and a
constant struggle to overcome what is suppose to be a bridge to
cross-cultural communication, but is often not. The English language,
as do most language of the world, probably has a place in all
societies, but that place needs to be better defined both for the sake
of economic efficiency and improved cross-cultural communication

Have a good trip to South Korea. I am sorry to learn that you will not
be stopping over in Hong Kong, and thank you for the additional
suggested reading.

Hamo

R. A. Stegemann
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349