Language and Education in DRC

hsmr at gol.com hsmr at gol.com
Tue Nov 2 11:34:51 UTC 2004

Hi David,

You make it appear, as if every mother's child wants to become
educated. Certainly you have a very good opinion of formal education,
but one that I am not always able to share. Still some formal education
is likely better than none.

1) May I assume that formal education is compulsory in DR Congo? If so,
from what age to what age?

2) What are the special features of DR Congo's public education system
that give it such a good reputation?

For example, the educational system of Singapore has a very good
reputation in the Far East, but upon close examination the educational
statistics show a very strong complementary private sector. This
suggests a public system that works well for a carefully screened
minority who find their way to the top and spread Singapore's
educational reputation abroad, but perhaps a  much less satisfactory
system of education for those who do not make it to more advanced
levels.

3) I asked this question of Aurolyn about Bolivia, but she failed to
reply.  Is French the language of instruction in DR Congo's public
universities? If so, does this not place enormous pressure on Congolese
children to excel in French while in grade school. What happens to
their French after they have graduated from school?

4) How would you compare the private schools run by the church with
those run by the government? Where does one obtain a better education,
or does it depend on the school and individual student performance. In
short, not everyone, who has the money, wants to attend a private
school.

5) I am not sure what you mean by K8. How many grades are there in the
public school system, and how are they designated?

6) Might one generalize and state that there are three general language
patterns for whicht the national (NLx) and local (LL) languages are
often one and the same?

a) A local language (LL), a national language (NLx), and KL-Creole
(KLC) [secondary-level education and below] -- Probably the vast
majority of DR-Congolese
b) A local language (LL), a national language (NLx) and French (F)
[tertiary education] -- A sophisticated and wealthy minority from
different localities that stands aloof from the rest of Congolese
society.
c)  A local language (LL), a national language (LLx), KL-Creole (KLC),
and French (F) [secondary or tertiary level] -- A a large minority of
Congolese who enjoy either a secondary or tertiary level of education,
are widely distributed throughout society, and can sometimes wield
substantial power and influence both as individuals and as a group.

What adjustments would you make to the above structural generalization?

Hamo

p.s. If you have not read the article entitled "New perpsective for a
new adminsitration" I revised it this morning so that it would read
better. Sometimes I cannot write in any language, no matter how hard I
try.