Aaaargh, again. (Program enlists Santa Ana parents as 'first teachers')

Lynn Goldstein lgoldstein at miis.edu
Sun Sep 12 19:37:56 UTC 2004

lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu on Sunday, September 12, 2004 at 10:46 AM
+0000 wrote:
>I'm wondering if I've missed something. I thought that the point of this
>Santa Ana program was to get early literacy going in Spanish, as a way to
>counteract replacive bilingualism (or at lest replacive biliteracy) to
>take over once these children got to school.  I thought there was good
>evidence since the 1960s' when Hauser (I think) talked about "the build-in
>curriculum in the middle-class home" and Head Start programs got going.

>But tell me what's wrong with the general thrust of the Santa Ana program
>(ignoring misconcptions about language "deficits" and all that.)
>
>Hal Schiffman

 I had the same reaction-- the focus was on developing early Spanish
literacy,the importance of which many lay people are wholly ignorant of.

Instead of just "aarghs" being limited to this list, those who wrote on
the list about the misconceptions might consider writing an op ed piece
and submitting it to the editor of the LA Times so as to reach lay people
and tell them what was right and what was wrong about this article.

Lynn Goldstein