Native Nations, Native Voices/NYU, Mexico And Maybe Even Argentina

Gordon Bronitsky g.bronitsky at att.net
Thu Sep 16 19:41:35 UTC 2004

	Native Nations, Native Voices continues to gain publicity.  I thought
you might find of interest this letter from a literary scholar at New
York University.  The Mapuche she refers to in her letter are an Indian
nation in southern Argentina and Chile--word about this festival is
really spreading!  If I can't receive some sort of major financial
commitment by October 8, I'll have to explore ways to produce this
festival elsewhere--I am more determined than ever to provide a
platform for these writers, for the birth of this new literary genre.
	Thanks.

					Yours,

					Gordon Bronitsky, PhD
					Bronitsky and Associates
					3715 La Hacienda Dr NE
					Albuquerque, NM  87110
					USA

					505-256-0260
					e-mail g.bronitsky at att.net

Anna M. Brígido-Corachán, ABD
Department of Comparative Literature
New York University
19, University Place 3rd floor
New York, NY 10003							New York 09/17/2004

     Dear Dr. Bronitsky,

I would like to congratulate and thank you for the organization of
Native Nations. Native Voices. A Festival of Readings in Native
Languages by Native Writers.
I have been engaging native writings of the Americas in my work during
the past few years and I was delighted to hear about this Festival.
There are very few opportunities for native voices to be heard, and
very few venues where they can present their stories and world-views in
their own languages. The social and literary space you are opening in
Albuquerque is of the utmost importance for the strenghtening of these
autochthonous American languages, most of which have a dwindling number
of speakers. The festival will also bring very needed institutional and
public support to the work of these excellent writers.
I certainly hope I can attend and will also publicize the event among
my friends and colleagues in universities and cultural centers in
Mexico and the United States. I am sure that the Asociación de
Escritores en Lenguas Indígenas, in Mexico City, will be happy to send
representantives to future Festivals. I am also in contact with writers
in languages like Mapuche that would be very interested in
participating and attending.
It would be wonderful if New York University could host this event in
following years!  I will contact academic departments that would be
interested in this matter.
Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

						Sincerely,
Anna M. Brígido-Corachán