Feedback on journalistic text Mastery of English

Francisco Gomes de Matos fcgm at hotlink.com.br
Tue Aug 23 11:39:41 UTC 2005

I have read the news item with great interest but
find the use of the verb FORCE  antithetical to
a human linguistic rights perspective. Why not
MOTIVATE, or ASK ?Forcing a human being to
learn a language  sounds  oppressive to me ...
Once in a while I come across such uses of
FORCE in materials for teachers . I imagine whoever
uses it  is not aware of the underlying authoritarianism...
Francisco Gomes de Matos
Recife,Brazil