Cameron woos Tory Right with call to curb ethnic language

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 26 13:11:46 UTC 2005

Regarding the question Anthea poses, namely "googling has failed to find
the source for these figures. Does anyone happen to know it?

My experience with these kinds of figures, as cited by politicians, is
that they are fabricated, or of dubious origin.  US English is also guilty
of making up statistics like these.  It's like the claim that "Kannada is
an endangered language." Says who?

HS