Article from The New Republic online

Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Thu Feb 24 16:10:53 UTC 2005

You've got to admit he has a point or two, eh?

I like his dig that "People who romanticize indigenous languages usually,
themselves, achieved comfortable positions in life by speaking and writing
one of the top ten tongues and by living in a society that has
single-language cohesion."

He gets a little shakier when he starts on his examples, though. For
instance, he states that..."when a rare language dies out, the culture it
served can continue, just in some other tongue. It is estimated, for
example, that 540 indigenous languages have been lost in Brazil since the
Portuguese arrived. Yet the ancient culture of Brazil has not been lost; it
now expresses itself in Portuguese." Uh, I don't think so. I think the
cultures of ancient Brazil has have mostly been lost, lockstep with their
languages. Whether or not the culture can continue in Portuguese depends on
your definition of culture, I suppose. From what I've seen, people who lose
their language sooner or later adopt the culture of the majority language.

I believe whether or not a group wants to preserve its language and culture
is up to them. What gets a little tricky is when the minority group wants to
preserve their language and culture with the funds of the majority group. I
wonder about motivations and the long term sustainability of such a project.

Stan Anonby