What English represents to linguistic minorities

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 24 13:41:18 UTC 2005

I agree with Anthea and Moses--what I see in Malaysia is that the
non-Malays see English as their lifeboat, and I think this may be true for
other ling. minorities in other polities. Since Malaysia has a quota on
university admissions, and Indian and Chinese-descent Malaysians are
always oversubscribed for the seats available to them, they have to
prepare for emigration, or at least for admission to foreign unversities.
The most logical language to help them prepare for this is English; this
is ignoring the other opportunities English prepares them for in a
globalized world employment market, so accepting Malay and rejecting
English is suicide. Add to this the fact that Malaysia has recently
decided to use English for technology subjects in high school, in order to
participate in this same global system makes it clear to me that we should
not condemn those who want to learn English and/or to see it as a "false
prophet."

Hal Schiffman