Language Minority Rights Conference Announcement in the Southwest

Daniel Choi Daniel.Choi at asu.edu
Mon Jan 24 21:02:22 UTC 2005

Dear Friends,

For anyone in and around the Southwest this weekend, you are cordially
invited to attend our Language Minority Rights Conference held here at
Arizona State University 1/28/05-1/29/05. I am attaching our conference
flyer and program. Registration is on-site and there is no cost to
attend. If you have any questions about attending, please contact me,
Daniel Choi, by email:  daniel.choi at asu.edu

A preview of the program is below:

THEMES:

Flores Consent Decree: Rights to resources for English Learners

National, state and local language policies and rights for English
Learners

Defining Structured English Immersion under Arizona law (Proposition
203)

Native American language rights in local and national contexts

Language policy and student achievement

SPEAKERS INCLUDE:

Tim Hogan- Arizona Center for the Law in the Public Interest

Stefan Rosenzweig - Fmr. Regional Director, Office for Civil Rights/ US
Dept. of Ed.

Arizona State University Faculty:

Karen Adams, Beatriz Arias, Chris Faltis, Kay Hunnicutt, Jeff MacSwan,
Kate Mahoney, Teresa McCarty, Jeanne Powers, Mary Eunice Romero,
Terrence Wiley

University of Arizona Faculty

Richard Ruiz, Carol Evans, Jean Favela, Mary Carol Combs

University of Texas, San Antonio

Wayne E. Wright