Paper on-line for comment and discussion

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 28 15:56:45 UTC 2005

Dear members,

Dr. Saran Kaur Gill, at the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, has asked me
to post a paper she has written entitled "Language Policy And Planning In
Higher Education In Malaysia: A Nation In Linguistic Transition" on our
website.  She invites comments and discussion on this paper, which is a
work in progress.  You can access this by going to our main webpage,
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/, clicking on PROJECTS, and scrolling
down to find it.

This is the first time we have tried posting an on-line paper and inviting
an on-line discussion; if it gets out of hand, I may ask people to direct
their comments to Saran's email, but since there has been a recent
discussion on the listserv about Malaysia and its language policy on
science teaching, we thought this might be interesting.  The dilemma of
how to develop a scientific and technical register for languages that are
not LOWC's faces many linguistic cultures, of course, so this may be
relevant to other situations, too.

H. Schiffman

Professor of Dravidian Linguistics and Culture                       Director
Dept. of South Asia Studies                     Pedagogical Materials Project,
805 Williams Hall Box 6305                 South Asia Language Resource Center

			Email:  haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu