First bilingual state school in England approved

Stan-sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Wed Jul 6 18:04:05 UTC 2005

It isn't surprising that French was chosen. The reasons seem similar to the reasons why angophone Canadians put their children in French immersion.

I think most people want to learn a language that will give them or their children a leg up in terms of prestige or economic opportunity. That's why native English speakers are not all that motivated to learn a second language. There are few places in the world where English isn't #1.

Stan Anonby