Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 24 20:36:47 UTC 2005

This business has been raging on American college campuses for maybe two
decades, now, and pops up every now and then with attempted legislation or
other kinds of intervention, usually without much effect.

As a linguist who was trained very carefully in phonetics, and even taught
phonetic transcription for a while, but is now suffering from high
frequency hearing loss, I can sympathize with some of this, though I
recognize that much of the difficulty understanding other varieties of
English is cultural and subjective, and maybe comes from a kind of
"linguistic cultural deprivation".  As a native speaker of American
English (east coast) teaching on the west coast for several decades, I was
shocked to be asked by a student once whether I was "from this country"
i.e. the US.  This was because some of my pronunciations had apparently
never been heard (or observed) before by students from rural Washington
State.

But as I have endured various kinds of hearing tests in preparation for
being fitted with hearing aids, I can see that some of the things they
test one for is the ability to hear and distinguish *final* consonants, so
I am aware that whether it is Americans who don't release their final
consonants, or speakers of Chinese who rarely pronounce final consonants
when speaking English, this feature is one of those that can make a
difference.

I think we need to develop tests that focus on both objective issues (e.g.
released final consonants) and subjective ones (racism, xenophobia,
whatever) and see what might come from this.

I remember having a conversation with you, Anthea, in Singapore, and cited
the work of Bansal on the intelligibility of Indian English, which I
believe you discounted. Bansal's study seemed to indicate that US and
British speakers were confused more by *stress* shift than by other
features of "foreign" English, so I have stored up examples of this
phenomenon over the years (e.g. shifting the stress of a word like
'facility', which is stressed on the 2nd syllable (facILity) to the first
syllable, and then deleting or reducing the second vowel [FAESlity]. There
are lots and lots of these in Indian English, although I'm not sure why.
And I cited to you (Anthea)  the example of being confused by an
announcement in an airport in India of a flight leaving for [KAElkta].  I
knew it had to be a major city, otherwise there wouldn't be a plane going
there, but only when I saw the boarding pass of a passenger, marked
"Calcutta" [kaelK at Ta] did I understand.

It would be interesting to do tests "blind" i.e. with just sound
recordings, and then with different visuals; Fasold has reported on tests
where American teachers upgrade children's pronunciation if they think
they are white, and downgrade them if they think they are black.  If we
could mix and match here, we might find some interesting stuff.

It would also be useful to do tests in which there is lots of context,
from which listeners get other cues, vs. situations with little
redundancy, to see if this makes a difference.  Might also be interesting
to see what students who are science whizzes understand vs. people
struggling in a Calculus class who blame the TA rather than their
inability to master the material.  (Colleagues of mine in math depts. have
told me they don't much care whether people have trouble in calculus
class--the point is to weed out the bad ones, while the good ones will
learn no matter what you do.)

In other words there may be many MANY variables here, not just "American
intolerance" or naivete, or whatever.  I might add that after years of
working in India, I adjust certain pronunciations to fit those of Indian
English, or else I'm just not understood when I say [vaitamin] instead of
[vItamin], or telephone dIrektori instead of [dairektri] etc.  I was even
told after a talk I gave at a conference that I "didn't have that awful
American accent" and that I talked "just like we do".  Turns out I had
shifted to Indian English without even knowing I had done so.

So let's devise some very sophisticated tests for this, so that we can
respond with good information when legislators in the American heartland
start working themselves into a lather about this.

Hal S.