What the Foreign Teacher Said

Miriam E Ebsworth mee1 at nyu.edu
Tue Jun 28 12:50:22 UTC 2005

Dear all,

You raise many important issues. They are complex, and what we know
as researchers does need to separated from the usual public xenophobia
regarding language varieties and speakers.

The variables seem to involve:
-degree of perceived difference between  accent and local standard
-aspects of accent or variety (phonology/prosodic features only and/or
lexical and grammatical differences
-origin of accent: native from some speech community or non-native
interlanguage
-actual intelligibility of speech for particular individuals or groups,
possibly mediated by sociocultural attitudes

I think we can agree that in the ideal world nobody should be judged
based on language variety. We can also agree that since language
varieties have been scientifically proven (by us!) to activate negative
and positive associations for listeners- conscious and subconscious-
that there are individuals who might benefit from ADDING a dialect,
register or variety to their linguistic repertoires. Of course, none of
the conditions we are talking about represent pathology.( My indigenous
English dialect is "Brooklynese" and along with many other students from
working class backgrounds, I failed the speech test at Brooklyn College.
I was put in a remedial speech class. Fortunately, the teacher was
enlightened and I acquired some useful information that has helped me to
do some strategic code switching.)

However, it is also the case that universities regularly hire very
intelligent non-native teachers and TA's whose lack of command or
clarity in the language of instruction can present a real barrier to
learners. While there are certainly lots of native speakers who can't
teach very well, and there are many non-natives who are superb teachers,
lack of intelligibility can be a crucial factor in an instructional
setting.

About ten years ago, my very multilingual and open son gave up on
advanced calculus as an undergraduate because the only person teaching
the class at the time he could take it was a non-native speaker with
lots of knowledge but very limited language skills teaching a highly
technical class. The teacher and students really tried to accommodate to
each other. But the gap was simply too great. After many valiant
attempts to understand what was going on, he ultimately dropped the course.

SO it seems reasonable for us to research what features of language are
involved in the intelligibility issue (I understand it has been found
that the mismatch of L1/L2 prosodic features is often more important
that phonemes) and make recommendations for teachers of non-native
speakers who want to be understood better.(Anthea, your comments are
exactly on target here.) And of course, we should fight hard for
acceptance of alternative language varieties and accents that are
problematic only because of the prejudices of more powerful speech
communities.

I also wonder whether some speech therapists with strong backgrounds in
sociolinguistics couldn't theoretically be helpful to non-native
speakers, so long as they understood they were working with clients on
adding a variety, or greater clarity rather than any kind of pathology...

Your thoughts?
 Miriam

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, Ph.D.
Director of Doctoral Programs