School's Foreign-language pledge draws protest

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 12 20:04:46 UTC 2005

I hate to say it, but the US Pledge of Allegiance has an "official" text.

I just did a FindLaw search and I found the text of the Elk Grove
(California) case brought by the avowed athiest Needow on behalf of his
daughter, challenging the "Under God" line. The text of the Pledge was
established by law in 1942 (Chapter 435, 56 Stat. 377. Section 7) and
amended in 1954 (Act of June 14, 1954, ch. 297, 68 Stat. 249) to include
the words "one Nation under God".  A later statute (2003) codified how the
salute to the US flag is to be conducted (and again gives the text of the
1954 Pledge).

Nothing, however, states that this has to be in English; but since the
official text IS in English, I think Mr. Linton may have a case, and we
may have a problem here.

Here's the URL from Findlaw:
http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/supreme_court/briefs/02-1624/02-1624.mer.ami.sherman.html

Here's the URL for the manner of the pledge to the flag:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/4/chapters/1/sections/section%5F4.html

HS