Achievements, Shortcomings In The Namibian Education Sector

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 07:22:39 UTC 2005

Dear list members,

According to the CIA's World Factbook tomorrow is Namibia's
independence day.

The apparent 15 year failure of Namibia's education reforms can be
understood in part from the structure  of the national economy. The
GINI index, an important indicator of income distribution, is
extraordinarily high (70). This indicates a very large concentration of
wealth in the hands of only a tiny fraction of the people. Nearly 70
percent of the population has the choice of engaging in subsistence
agriculture or mining. Despite healthy-looking external accounts
supported largely by those who spend their working lives underground,
the national debt represents more than a third of national annual
income. These facts suggest government extravagance and worker
exploitation. Thirty-five percent of the population is unemployed.
Nineteen percent of national income is spent on gross fixed investment.
After 15 years of independence one can only wonder how this money is
being spent.

Like most African countries Namibia is hopelessly divided among many
tribes. One tribe, the Ovambo, does account for about 50% of the
population, however. The most common language appears to be Afrikaans.
It is spoken by 60% of the people. More than three times as many people
are infected with aids as there are speakers of the country's official
language -- English.

It would appear that independence from South Africa has meant little to
the people of Namibia , and that Namibia is in serious need of a
national identity around which the entire nation can rally.

Until interest is demonstrated by other list members I will withhold
further comment.

Sincerely,

R. A. Stegemann (Hamo)
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349