Singapore's pseudo mother tongues

R. A. Stegemann moogoonghwa at mac.com
Tue Mar 22 20:41:04 UTC 2005

Dear list members,

Before beginning I would like to thank Paul Lewis for his explanation
with regard to the Ethnologue data. Certainly it relieves me to think
that the time and energy spent incorporating Ethnologue data into the
HKLNA-Project was not in vain. In a way, however, this part of the
discussion has been quite beside the point. In my examination of
Singapore's system of education and language policy I refer to no fewer
than 25 graphs. Only two of these contain Ethnologue data to which I
refer seven times. The remaining 23 graphs contain information obtained
from various Singapore governmental ministries. To these I refer a
total of 37 times.  In effect, of my 44 data referrals more than 80%
draw solely on governmental data from Singapore.

PRIMARY DATA
In my last email I wrote, "I would very much like Anthea to provide
hard evidence with regard to her own claims about Singaporeans' English
language competence.  Personally, I could not find primary measures of
competence in Singapore and after many hours scouring the internet
finally concluded that this is one of Singapore's best kept secrets."
So, what did Anthea provide? More census data, suggestions that I visit
Singapore, a critique of Ethnologue data, and her professional title in
a parenthetical note.

Perhaps I should make clear what I meant with regard to primary data.
By way of example, I would like to turn your attention to EARTH's newly
uploaded, interactive, Quicktime movie. The kind of data that I was
looking for in my note to Anthea is illustrated there under the heading

Language Education Policy - Understanding the Nature of Fixed Response
     Beneath the Wheel
         Five Years Beyond

There you will find IELTS scores for nearly 50% of all Hong Kong final
year undergraduate students at Hong Kong's Big 8 universities. With
this data as a benchmark I extrapolate backwards in order to understand
English language competence at the post-secondary level.

As Anthea admits census data are mere claims on the part of
respondents. They are hardly a good measure of competence.
Unfortunately, the best that Anthea could provide was an update of her
own census data.  As Anthea also appears to agree, measures of literacy
tell us very little about one's level of competence in a language. Can
I read a Chinese newspaper? Yes. With what level of comprehension is an
entirely different matter. Moreover, reading, writing, speaking, and
listening are entirely different skills. (See the IELTS results
indicated above).

SWITZERLAND and SINGAPORE
Although Singapore and Switzerland differ geographically, I fail to
understand how everyone learning one pseudo mother tongue and English
with various levels of competence is any better than everyone learning
two pseudo mother tongues with various levels of competence. There are
several sets of probabilities at work, here; I will briefly examine two
of them: the probability of whom you will meet, and the probability of
your ability to comprehend what is communicated after meeting. Ceteris
paribus, two people with 70% understanding of the same language can
only understand 49% of what is communicated.  In contrast, if one of
the two speakers has 100% comprehension (by way of argument only) both
speakers can understand 70% of what is communicated. Thus, depending on
the composition of a population, it can be preferred that everyone
learn others' primary, pseudo mother tongues, rather than for everyone
to learn the same secondary pseudo mother tongue. This is especially
true in cosmopolitan environments, where there is nearly always a good
mix at any given location.

Anthea brings up a very good point, when she asks what language policy
would work better. Unfortunately, I am not interested in spending much
time with anyone on new proposals until the veils of propaganda,
deception, and prejudice surrounding the old have first been removed.
For the moment, I find the Swiss example sufficiently exemplary.

MASS MEDIA, RACE RIOTS, and SPECIAL VISITS
Citing the number of radio and television stations that provide English
programming with no information about the number of listeners is like
talking about firm number without employment data. In well-developed
economies the number of large firms is always far fewer than the number
of small and medium-size firms. But why are large firms large? Because
they employ many times more people than smaller firms.

Finally, I would like to thank Anthea for the invitation to visit
Singapore, but I have received several already from native residents.
Were I to go, it would not likely be as a tourist, as I have found much
cheaper forms of entertainment that are physically more rewarding.

Sincerely,
Hamo

R. A. Stegemann, A.B., M.A., M.A.
EARTH's Manager and HKLNA-Project Director
EARTH - East Asian Research and Translation in Hong Kong
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/
Tel/Fax: 852 2630 0349