Linguistically Significant Films

Aurolyn Luykx aurolynluykx at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 14:40:49 UTC 2005

Hi Hal,
I wondered if you might like to make a list of
linguistically significant fiction also! A favorite of
mine is linguist/science fiction author Suzette Haydn
Elgin's "Native Tongue" (and its sequel "The Judas
Rose").
Aurolyn

--- "Harold F. Schiffman"

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/linguist/issues/7/7-1708.html

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/syllabus.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/12/16/native.speakers.ap/

> [...]
> races and languages
> (including a dozen or so artificial lingue franche)
> where humans have made
> dolphins intelligent, with their own language. They
> speak in Haiku.
>
> _The Man-Kzin Wars_ series, Larry Niven Warrior race
> of anthropomorphic
> tigers speaks language reflecting their ethos ( la
> Klingon).
>
> _Genetic Soldier_, George Turner A shipload of
> scientists from the
> near-future returns, due to relativity, to a more
> distant-future
> post-holocaust Earth where English has evolved -
> linguist co-hero bridges
> the gap.
>
> 1984, George Orwell - Government attempts to control
> thought by
> manipulating language. By making language simpler,
> the idea is that people
> will be less creative.
>
> Atlantis: the lost empire 2001 Gary Trousdale & Kirk
> Wise. Disney
> animation
> in which a decipherer of ancient languages is
> crucial to the finding of
> the
> lost continent. Michael J. Fox does the linguist's
> voice.
>
> Conceiving Ada 1997 Lynn Hershman-Leeson. A computer
> genius manages to
> communicate with the dead, and reaches Ada Lovelace,
> a forerunner of sorts
> for computational linguistics.
>
> 2. Documentaries
>
> 2.1 Films on Language in general
>
> Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
> 1992 Mark Achbar & Peter
> Wintonick. Yes, this documentary about the man
> himself actually was shown
> at the cinemas. As the title suggests, though, it is
> more concerned with
> Chomsky's political side than with linguistics. Ten
> years later followed
> Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in Our Times,
> directed by John Junkerman.
>
> The Human Language Series . 1995. director: Gene
> Searchinger.
> NY: Ways of Knowing.
> part 1. Discovering Human Language
> part 2. Acquiring Human Language
> part 3. The Human Language Evolves
> (general linguistics and linguistic theory)
>
> The Singer's Voice. 1993. By Joan Wall and Robert
> Caldwell.
> Dallas TX: Pst... Inc.
>
> The Secret of the Wild Child. 1994. director: Linda
> Garmon.
> (NOVA documentary about Genie)
>
> Signs of the Apes, Songs of the Whales. 1988.
> director: Linda
> Harrar. (Nova documentary about animal language)
>
> 2.2 Films on English
>
> PBS production of ''The Story of English''
>
> American Tongues. 1987.
> By Andrew Kolker and Louis Alvarez. NY: Center for
> New American
> Media.
>
> 2.3 Films on other languages
>
> Stepping Razor Red X. 1992. director: Nicholas

 "The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt